I was showered with love in so many ways...text messages, phone calls, a breakfast date, facebook posts, flowers on my desk, lovely wine date with my coworkers, instagram pictures, a surprise lunch with church friends and work friends together, delicious family dinner and dessert, and a night at the movies.
I was so touched. So overwhelmed by the love and generosity of friends and family.
But you know what I learned on this April 12th? I learned that I have to let go of deserving love, I have to open my hands and my heart to the gifts God has given not because of my own doing, but because of his extravagant love for me...and how he expresses that love through friends and family.
It overwhelms me that I had bouquets of flowers on my desk. That friends surprised me for lunch, that I got gift cards for lattes and acai bowls, and that my mom made me chocolate cake...because those are all things I love. My friends and family know me, and know what I love and care about (coffee, friends, surprises...and chocolate of course!! among many other things :)). That is so special to me.
I forget that God knows me and hears me. I forget that he loves me for who I am, not because of my personality, or how many emails I respond to at work. I forget that he has given me friends not because I am trying to be a good friend, but because he wants to teach me what it looks like to be loved and cared for.
Throughout my faith journey, I've always been taught that God's love is a free gift. I'm realizing now that accepting this love is a life-long journey. And he has brought some beautiful people into my life to show me how.
Thank you, friends, family, for loving me.
No comments:
Post a Comment