I’m leaving for Nicaragua tomorrow (Monday) at 6:00 am –and will probably be in the bus for most of the day. I have everything I need for 10 days in my lovely northface mochilla and will be living at a retreat center for 4 days and with a new family for 6 out of those 10. I went to “Pequeño Mundo” with some friends and got lots of things for ridiculously low prices. I bought some medicine to hopefully make my skin unattractive to bugs -- I have started a “war on mosquitos” this semester since I was eaten alive a few weeks ago (my legs are still recovering) and am determined to not let those bugs win – we shall see if this stuff works! I am a little nervous for this next adventure, but also excited about the things I will get to learn, see, and experience.
Immigration from Nicaragua to Costa Rica is a HUGE topic of discussion here and from my perspective seems to be very similar to US—Mexico relations. Whenever I bring “Nicaragua” up in conversation, there is ALWAYS something to discuss so I am looking forward to talking to Nicaraguans about these issues.
I am continuing to feel blessed by the outpouring of love that I am receiving here...This semester has prompted so many questions, doubts, and deep thinking... and really struggling to understand the truth, what is justice, and what is my role in the world? In the midst of this, I have experienced God's love in special ways. I think one of the biggest is my family here who whenever they introduce me, they call me their "hija" daughter or "hermana" sister. Yesterday my host parents and I went to a house and the woman asked how many kids they had and they said "5, but 6 with our daughter Alísa" ..it was really touching and i am going to miss them while i am away.
in addition to missing them, i miss my dear friends and family from the States (and abroad in other countries too :))! thank you for your prayers, support, and love across the miles - it means so much to me.

all packed (hopefully!) for Nica :)
Hasta luego!
No comments:
Post a Comment