Saturday, January 15, 2011

hola de costa rica!

i am HERE - can you believe it? living in latin america, riding the bus into san jose, eating fruits & other foods i have never tried before, and constantly speaking spanish at the most elementary level :)

it has been really hard for me these first few days, but i am taking one moment at a time, and learning my way around and becoming more and more comfortable in my surroundings. i am living with a wonderful host family (mami, papi, and three sisters). they are very kind and hospitable and i have done various activities with each of them thus far (bought fresh bread this morning with papi, hung out with my sister and her friends yesterday afternoon, and went to the market for fruits/vegetables with my other sister and her boyfriend). it is fun to watch family dynamics because it reminds me of certain personalities & habits in my family ;)

i have my own room which looks out to a beautiful field and i go to sleep with cows mooooooing and dogs barking :) i start my classes officially on monday and will be taking a basic seminar class about latin america on tues/thurs and spanish every afternoon for three hours (this is very necessary...my spanish is in need of lots of help ;))

thank you for all of your love and prayers!
abrazos, alys

3 comments:

  1. this sounds so great!! enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALYSSA!!!!!
    I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! BUT...I can remember how scared and nervous i was when i first got to Madrid. I went thru alot of culture shock and still remember trying to open my mouth to speak ALL of the spanish I had learned and felt fairly confident about and feeling that I was completely incompetent and totally back to square one. It was so depressing. Slowly and surely it started to all come together and after 4 months I started DREAMING IN SPANISH!!!!!! The coolest thing ever. Just wait. It'll happen.
    Enjoy your adventures. This will be an unforgettable experience and something that will always be a part of who you are:)
    Love you girl,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete